After a severe reading slump last year, I decided to try to branch out and try some new genres. I feel like I hit a jackpot when I discovered YA fantasy. There are so many awesome books, and amazing series in this genre.
The books I read are…
- New Boy, by Tracy Chevilier
- A Court of Wings and Ruin, by Sarah J. Maas
- Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, by Matthew Quick
- Legend, by Marie Lu
- Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Mass
- Crown of Midnight, by Sarah J. Mass
- The Wrath and the Dawn, by Renee Ahdieh
- The Rose and the Dagger, by Renee Ahdieh
- Flame in the Mist, by Renee Ahdieh
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone, by Laini Taylor
- Days of Blood and Starlight, by Laini Taylor
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters, by Laini Taylor
- Flamecaster, by Cinda Williams Chima
- Truthwitch, by Susan Dennard
- The Love Interest, by Cale Dietrich
- The Marsh King’s Daughter, by Karen Dionne
- Into The Water, by Paula Hawkins
My favorites this month were the three books in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone Saga. Laini Taylor is an incredible author. I read Strange the Dreamer in April and I loved it so much I went out and bought almost everything she has ever written.
I listened to half of the books on audio and read the other half. The audio versions of these books were awesome. The woman who performed the reading did amazing voices and accents of all the characters. I also think that some of the sarcasm, which there is a lot of, could possibly fall flat if it were just read on paper. Hearing the tone of the dialogue added another layer of richness to the story.
My least favorites were The Love Interest, and Into The Water.
The Love interest was disappointing because there was so much unfulfilled potential and the plot was almost nonexistent. The characters were completely predictable and flat.
Into The Water wasn’t terrible it just wasn’t something that I really cared for.
So that’s it for May. I have read 40 books of my goal of 75 so far this year.
There are some really excellent books that I am looking forward to in June.